Saturday, April 08, 2006

Suggestion: Adam Holtzman

Many of the new photographic books I come across are found through the Photo-Eye Newsletter. Not only is it a great way to find new photo books, but new (often unpublished) talent as well.

Adam Holtzman - Absence #14I saw Adam Holtzman's work several newletters back as their featured portfolio. It just goes to show you that many times, thumbnails can be misleading. I wouldn't ask someone to judge a gallery show based solely on the mailer (although that usually is the first impression, and can probably have a dramatic effect on initial attendance), so why are we so often ready to judge (dismiss) a body of work based solely on thumbnail images? I know I'm guilty of it myself.

Adam's work is intriguing in its simplicity. The images are beautiful on their own, but the story is one many of us can relate to. I am speaking, of course, of his "Absence" series; the work about his grandfather's home after his death, and the stripped house that remained after his family removed most of the belongings. It made me long for an opportunity to return to my grandparents' house when I was a child and they passed away.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home